The South African Health News Service
Subscribe
Find a Clinic
Medicine Price Registry
Return to Content

Op-ed: What you didn’t see at the Esidimeni arbitration

March 20, 2018
News  

The decision of Former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke in the Life Esidimeni arbitration is an important landmark following more than two years of resistance, negotiation, confrontation, heart break and horror, writes Section27 attorney.

Esidimeni: families each to get R1,2-million

March 20, 2018
News  

Following a litany of lies, “murderous” decisions, agonising deaths and torturous transfers, an amount of R1.2-million will now be paid to each of the families affected by the Gauteng Department of Health’s decision to move mentally ill patients out of Life Esidimeni facilities.

Not our job to verify deaths says health department

February 2, 2018
News  

The Gauteng Department of Health (GDoH) says it is not their job to verify 12 more casualties from the Life Esidimeni move, shifting the responsibility onto Health Ombudsman Professor Malegapuru Makgoba.

Esidimeni ‘disaster’ brings corruption in Gauteng health to light

February 1, 2018
News  

Gauteng Premier David Makhura has vowed to fight corruption after testimony at the Life Esidimeni arbitrations further exposed the levels of financial mismanagement in his government.

Esidimeni: Doctors erase ‘unnatural’ deaths

September 4, 2017
News  

The dead have one final shot at justice. It lies with the medical officers who sign their death certificate. They are supposed to refer questionable deaths for post-mortems, but even this was bungled for the Esidimeni patients. SARAH WILD reports

Press Ombud dismisses Esidimeni funeral parlour complaint

May 11, 2017
News  

Press Ombudsman Johan Retief recently dismissed a complaint against Daily Maverick/ Health-e News for a story we wrote about how former Esidimeni patients who had died had been found in a Pretoria morgue. 

Esidimeni’s dead stored in pile at morgue

February 20, 2017
News  

After a six-hour wait, yesterday morning the Director-General of Health was given access to a rundown private mortuary where bodies of Esidimeni’s dead were kept last year.